I have been blogging about Ladakh for quite some time; since my first visit there to be honest actually. This website has a long list of articles covering different aspect of visiting Ladakh scattered over numerous pages. So I thought to add this one front page and keep it sticky more from a navigation point of view. How to Plan a trip to Leh Ladakh really is more of a general question which can be further broken down for a better explanation. In this article, I will divide this question in different categories and provide links to articles where I have detailed the information related to it.
When to go to Ladakh
This of course is the first question that comes to mind after you have finally decided to visit here. Ladakh remains closed and cut off from rest of the country for several months in a year. Most of the tourism here happens between the months of June and September. When should you plan will depend on a lot of factors like how you are traveling; if there is any budget restriction; what exactly do you want to see etc. Considering all these factors, take a look at the articles below which I am sure will help you finalize the month of your travel.
How to Prepare for Ladakh Trip
Once you have decided when yo go, next in line comes the question of how to prepare. Ladakh is not really a place where you can just pack your bags and go. You will have to seriously consider every aspect of the trip and pack accordingly. This will include packing the right kind of clothes, getting your vehicle ready and carrying every essential item that you will need for the trip. Below is a link to articles where I have provided this information in detail.
- List of things you must carry for a Ladakh Trip
- Ladakh by Flight VS Ladakh By Road
- How and Where to Carry Spare Fuel for Ladakh Trip
- Clothes for Ladakh Trip: What to Pack
- Planning a Trip to Ladakh with Children or Infants
- Important Tips on Dealing with Acute Mountain Sickness in Ladakh
- How to Carry your Laptop to Ladakh
- Planning a Short Trip to Ladakh
- Things to Carry for Ladakh Winter Trip
Cost of Ladakh Trip
Budget for the trip is one of the biggest deciding factors. A lot of people think that a trip to Ladakh is going to cost a fortune which is not entirely true. While it may cost you a bit more than visiting some other areas, truth however is that with proper planning and information, you can easily make a trip to Ladakh within budget. Below is a list of articles that can help you calculate the overall cost you will incur during the trip; and how you can keep it within budget.
- How to Calculate Minimum Budget for Ladakh Trip
- How to Calculate Cost of Motorcycle Trip to Ladakh
- 12 Tips for a Budget Trip to Ladakh
- How to make a Budget Ladakh Trip by Public Transport
Itinerary for Ladakh Trip
A well laid itinerary in my opinion is the most important part of Ladakh trip. Based on the days you have in hand, you must have a carefully drafted plan on where do you want to be on which day. A Ladakh trip is not really a frequent affair so while you visit here, you need to make sure that you make the most out of it and visit as many places as you possibly can. I have written several articles providing examples of different itineraries broken by days; links to which I have provided below. Depending on how long your trip is going to last, you can pick an itinerary from the ones I have listed in these articles.
- 3 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 4 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 5 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 6 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 7 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 8 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 9 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- 10 Days Itinerary for Ladakh
- Itinerary for Zanskar Valley
- Srinagar to Ladakh Itinerary
- Manali to Ladakh Itinerary
- Ladakh Winter Trip Itinerary
- Itinerary if you are flying to Ladakh
What to See in Ladakh
Next information that you should keep handy is a list of places that you would like to see. Your have been told that entire Ladakh is a tourist destination in itself which is entirely correct. Every turn of the road here will present you with something new and you will not get tired of clicking your camera for hours. But there must be some places that can be called as the prime attraction, correct? You are right. In the article below, I have listed every place in Ladakh that is worth a visit. Depending on the time you have for the trip, you can decide which one (or all of them) you want to cover.
First article provides a list of all the places in Ladakh while the other ones break it down by the region.
- A Complete List of All Tourist Attractions in Ladakh
- Tourist Places in Leh City
- A Detailed Explanation on Festivals of Ladakh
- Ladakh Festivals Dates
- Tourist Attractions on Srinagar Leh Highway
- What to See on Manali Leh Highway
- Tourist Attractions in Nubra Valley
- Primary Attractions of Zanskar Valley
Where to Stay in Ladakh
In the recent years, Ladakh has seen a great boost in tourism; specially after the release of the movie “3 Idiots”. With that being said, the fact however cannot still be denied that it is still a remote region, one that remains cut off from rest of the world for several months in a year. Before going to a far away land like this, you must have information about what your accommodation choices are. It will be crucial part of your itinerary to know where you can stay for the night and where can you not.
In the series of articles below, I have provided information related to the staying options in different regions of Ladakh. You will also find names and phone numbers of some recommended hotels at the links below. Based on your own choice, you may chose to call and book in advance; or reach the place, find a hotel of your liking and negotiate an on-the-spot-deal.
- Hotels at Pangong Lake
- Accommodation on Srinagar Leh Highway
- Hotels on Manali Leh Highway
- Guest Houses and Hotels in Nubra Valley
- Recommended Hotels in Leh City
- Hotels in Zanskar Valley
- Accommodation at Tso Moriri
- Hotels on the routes to Tso Moriri
- How to Book HP PWD Guest House
- List of Good Restaurants in Leh City
- List of Vegetarian Only Restaurants in Ladakh
- Camping in Ladakh
Availability of basic facilities in Ladakh
Next crucial information that you must make yourself aware of is in terms of the availability of basic facilities in Ladakh. By this, I mean facilities like mobile services, hospital, and gas stations etc. This may not be such a big problem in Leh City but can become a concern while traveling to other areas of Ladakh. In the articles below, I have provided more information related to this topic.
- When and How to Rent an Oxygen Cylinder for Ladakh Trip
- ATM, Mechanics and Petrol Stations on Srinagar Leh Highway
- ATM and Bank Facilities in Leh City
- Mobile Phone Services in Ladakh
Getting your vehicle Ready
Trip to a place like Ladakh is stressful not just for the traveler but also their vehicles. All the information above was related to getting yourself ready for the tough trip ahead but then what about your vehicle? Ladakh as I mentioned is still a remote region and if you vehicle breaks down on you, it can very well ruin your entire trip. You must get your machine ready, be it a car or a motorcycle. Pay close attention to every part, every detail and repair or replace whatever seems dicey. In the articles below, I have provided a information on which vehicle you can bring to Ladakh, which you should not and then how to get your respective vehicles ready.
- How to Prepare your Motorcycle for Ladakh
- How to Prepare your Car for Ladakh Trip
- Why you should rent a Taxi in Ladakh
- Which is the Best Car for Ladakh Trip
- How to Go to Ladakh on 100CC Motorcycle
- Which is the Best Motorcycle for Ladakh Trip
Renting a Motorcycle for Ladakh Trip
A trip to Ladakh is more fun when you are traveling by your own vehicle but a lot of people also complete the journey on a rented motorcycle. There are several places that you can rent a bike from for the trip like Manali, Srinagar or Leh itself. However, before you finalize the deal, you must carefully inspect the motorcycle to ensure that it will not give you trouble anywhere. In the articles below, I have provided information on where you can rent a bike from with some recommended names; and what is it that you should pay heed to before renting a bike.
- Why and When should you rent a motorcycle for Ladakh Trip?
- How to rent a Bike in Srinagar
- How to Rent a Bike in Manali
- Where to Rent a Bike in Srinagar
- Where to Rent a Bike in Manali
- How to Rent a Bike in Leh City
- Leh City Bike Rental Charges
How to Travel to Ladakh
Now since we have all the information we need, let us talk about how to travel to and in Ladakh. In the articles below, I have talked about how to journey on the two roads leading to Ladakh, the Manali – Leh and Srinagar – Leh route; and then how to go areas like Nubra Valley and Pangong after you have arrived in Leh. The first article is a very comprehensive road map of entire Ladakh region; then the following articles are detailed explanations of the route.
Apart from the direct routs from Leh City, I have also talked about some of the internal roads that you can take to reach from one place to another without going back to Leh. This includes roads like Agham – Shyok, Wari La and Changthang Valley.
- A Detailed Road Map of Ladakh
- How to Travel to Umling La
- Traveling from Srinagar to Leh
- How to Travel from Manali to Leh
- Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri
- How to Travel to Tso Moriri from Leh
- Leh to Nubra Valley
- How to Travel to Pangong Tso
- Leh to Khardung La
- How to Travel to Hanle
- Sham Valley Travel Guide
- How to Travel to Zanskar Valley
- Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Agham Shyok road
- Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Wari La
Permits for Ladakh
Ladakh is an area very close to India-China border and hence, everyone visiting here is required to obtain a permit from DM office. This permit is not applicable for reaching the Leh city but is a mandate for visiting other areas like Nubra Valley, Pangong and Tso Moriri. In the articles below, I have explained the entire procedure in detail along with the charges applicable. Another permit you will have to worry about is of Rohtang Pass if you are starting from Manali. This permit is needed to be obtained from Manali. I have also provided links below to the article where I have talked about this permit in detail.
- How to Obtain Inner Line Permit for Ladakh
- Procedure to Obtain Protected Area Permit for Ladakh
- How to Obtain Rohtang Pass Permit
Public Transport Services in Ladakh
Off-late, a lot of people have started to visit Ladakh using public transport services in form of a Bus or shared cabs. Some people reach Leh by Air and then catch a bus to other places while others start their journeys by bus from places like Srinagar and Manali. Public Transport in Ladakh until a few years back was not really that great but has improved greatly in last few years. If you too are planning a trip here by Public transport, then in the article below you will find information related to bus schedules and shared taxis.
- How I Traveled to Ladakh by Public Transport
- Ladakh Bus Service Schedule
- Leh to Nubra Valley Bus Service
- Leh to Pangong Tso Bus Service
- Manali to Leh Bus Service
- Srinagar to Leh Bus Service
- Delhi to Leh Bus Service
- Public Transport Services in Zanskar Valley
- Zanskar Valley Taxi Rates
- Ladakh Bus Schedule
- Bus Service in Leh City
Solo Trip to Ladakh
A trip to Ladakh without any doubt needs some time which unfortunately not everyone can afford to spare. Sometimes for one reason or another, lot of us are unable to find someone to accompany us on the trips. A solo trip to Ladakh however is no less adventurous than with a few friends. If you too were planning to visit Ladakh solo, then below is a list of articles that can help you plan your trip better.
- How to Plan a Solo Trip to Ladakh
- Safety Tips for a Solo Trip to Ladakh
- How I traveled to Ladakh by Public Transport Alone
- Memoirs of my Solo trip to Ladakh
Links below are of articles that I call as “interesting read” for Ladakh trip. This is some intriguing and good to know information related to some places here; like unexplained phenomenon of Magnetic hill and some other places that are known to be haunted. Take a look.
- The Beasts of Changthang Valley
- The Ghost of Gata Loops
- The Magnetic Hill of Ladakh
- The Cannibal of Baralacha La
- The Heroes of Rezang La
Last but not the least, below are some articles where I have shared some quick tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey. Most of these tips are based on my own personal experience of Ladakh after being there several times. Read through and I am sure this information can be of help to you.
How to Plan a Trip to Leh Ladakh
I think that pretty much covers all there is on the topic of how to plan a trip to Leh Ladakh. Go through these articles and you will know everything that you should before visiting. If you have any further questions; or want to run your plan with me for any suggestions; then please feel free to ask in the comments section below; or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.