This will remain to be a dedicated post to track Zojila Pass Road Status and updates on Srinagar to Sonamarg road status. As the winter season progresses and ends, I will continue sharing updates and pictures on the current status of the highway.
Zojila Pass Current Status = OPEN
The current status of the Zojila Pass is open. The road was declared closed in November 2020 after it started to snow heavily. But this winter saw a very less amount of snow throughout the entire Himalayan region. As a result, all the passes were declared way ahead of their schedule. Zoji La Pass and the entire Srinagar Leh stretch are now open for vehicular traffic. BRO is still working on making the road stable but that is something that happens for the entire season.
For now, if you want to travel to Ladakh from Srinagar by road, you can continue with your plans. The hotels in Manali, Ladakh, and Srinagar have started to accept tourists as well.
A lot of the situation will also depend on how the COVID situation will unfold this year. So far, things are still far from being under control and you should practice utmost caution to ensure that you do not catch the infection anywhere. But only the coming months will tell how the rest of the year is going to be.
Srinagar to Sonamarg Road Status = OPEN
The road between Srinagar to Sonamarg is currently open and the hotels in the valley are also open for tourists. You are free to travel to Sonamarg as of now and explore the region. For more details, take a look at Best time to visit Sonamarg.
Mughal Road Status = OPEN
The historic Mughal road, linking Shopian in south Kashmir with Rajouri and Poonch in the Jammu region is now open. If you do not want to travel the Srinagar Jammu highway and would rather take a much more scenic but less crowded route, you can travel via Mughal Road. For more details, please take a look at How to Plan a Journey on Mughal Road.
The Anantnag to Kishtwar road is now also open.
The Srinagar-Jammu national highway has been declared open as well.
When will Zojila Pass Open?
The opening of Zojila Pass entirely depends on the weather and how fast BRO is able to clear the snow. But historically, it is the month of April when the pass is freed of snow and declared open for civilian traffic. There have been instances when the pass was opened in March as well but chances of that happening are extremely rare.
To be on the safer side, do not plan a trip to Zoji La pass any before April 15th. If the weather did not favor it, the opening of the pass can sometimes even get delayed to May 1st week.
When will Srinagar to Sonamarg road open?
The road between Srinagar and Sonamarg remains closed during the peak winter season. In the months from December to March, the road is only open till Gagangir. The stretch between Gagangir to Sonamarg remains completely snowed out.
Historically, Sonamarg is declared open for tourists sometimes towards late March to early April. First, the Sonamarg road is freed of snow and then Zojila Pass is declared open. To be on the safer side, do not plan a trip to Sonamarg any earlier than late March.
The name Zoji La literally means the “mountain pass of blizzards” and quite rightly so. It is the most difficult stretch on the entire Srinagar Leh highway and it is because of Zoji La that the Leh route remains closed during the winter season.
The pass sits at an altitude of 3,528 meters (11,575 ft) and is a popular tourist attraction. You can find snow at the top of the pass even during the months of summer due to which a lot of people visiting Sonamarg also take a trip to Zoji La Pass.
Best time to visit Zoji La
The best time to visit Zoji La will be anytime between May to October. However, even in these months, you should avoid visiting between late June to August because of the monsoon season and Amarnath Yatra time.
Zojila Pass Permit
There is no permit required to visit Zojila Pass.
When does Zojila Pass Open?
Below is a month by month breakdown listing months when the pass is open or closed.
- Zojila Pass in January = CLOSED; cannot be reached by road.
- Zojila Pass in February = CLOSED; cannot be reached by road.
- Zojila Pass in March = CLOSED; cannot be reached by road.
- Zojila Pass in April = Closed in the first half of the month but open in the latter half.
- Zojila Pass in May = Open but terrible road conditions. It will also be crowded because of people traveling to Leh Ladakh.
- Zojila Pass in June = Open but the region starts to experience pre-monsoon showers by end of the month. It will also start to get crowded due to the Amarnath Yatra pilgrimage.
- Zojila Pass in July = Open but bad time to visit because of monsoon. Extremely bad road conditions at the top of the pass.
- Zojila Pass in August = Open but bad time to visit because of monsoon. Extremely bad road conditions at the top of the pass.
- Zojila Pass in September = Open; and a good time to visit
- Zojila Pass in October = Open but the pass starts to receive snow towards the end of the month.
- Zojila Pass in November = Open but bad time to visit. It can snow anytime causing the roads to get blocked.
- Zojila Pass in December = CLOSED
Zojila Pass Road Status – Conclusion
I hope the information above on Zojila Pass Road Status was of help. If you have any questions or need any other details, please feel free to ask in the comments section below; or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.