Spiti Valley, the name that creates many pictures in mind of those who haven’t been there. While some picture lush green hills, mountain rivers, waterfalls, others think of it as a a barren wasteland, a cold desert very similar to Ladakh. Whatever the picture is; it attracts thousands of tourists every year because a journey to Spiti is an experience that you will cherish for a long time; probably all of your life. The name “Spiti” means “The Middle Land” which it actually is; because it is in fact the land between Tibet and India. And because of this very reason, it possesses a unique combination of both Indian and Tibetan cultures. A distinct lifestyle derived primarily out of Hindu and Buddhist beliefs, gelled so well that its hard to tell them apart.
I have been blogging about Spiti Valley for quite some time now; ever since I started this blog actually. Over last few years, I have written several articles covering different aspects of a journey to Spiti. These articles are spread over numerous pages and shuffling through trying to find the information that you need can actually be quite a task. So I thought to add this one sticky page at the front; more like an index to all the information.
How to Plan a Trip to Spiti Valley is really a very broad question because there are several aspects to it; and several factors will contribute to how your final plan turns out. I will break this information as per different aspects of the trip; and provide links to article where I have detailed the information related to it.
When to visit Spiti Valley
This definitely is the first question that comes to mind when you think of planning a trip. Choosing the right time to go in my opinion is of utmost importance; both in terms of convenience and sightseeing. Spiti valley is open by road for all 12 months. When to go to Spiti will really depend on what your preference is but majority of the tourism happens in the months from June till September. This is the time when both the routes; from Shimla and Manali; remain open. Take a look at the article below for more details on what can you expect in which month; and which would suit you the most.
- When is the Best Time to Visit Spiti Valley?
- Spiti Valley Roads: Opening and Closing Times
- How to Get Permits for Spiti Valley Trip
- Rohtang Pass Permits : Details, Charges & How to Apply
How to Prepare for Spiti Valley Trip
Once you have decided when yo go, next in line comes the question of how to prepare. Spiti Valley is not really a place where you can just pack your bags and go. You will have to seriously consider every aspect of the trip and pack accordingly. This will include packing the right kind of clothes, getting your vehicle ready and carrying every essential item that you will need for the trip. Below is a link to articles where I have provided this information in detail.
- Clothes for Spiti Trip : What to Pack?
- Carrying Laptop to High Altitude Places Like Ladakh or Spiti
- How to Transport your Motorcycle for Spiti Valley Trip
- How to Prepare your Car for Spiti Valley Trip
- Which is the Best Car for Spiti Valley Trip
- How to Prepare your Motorcycle for Spiti Trip
- Which is the best motorcycle for Spiti Trip?
Itinerary for Spiti Valley Trip
A well laid itinerary in my opinion is the most important part of visiting Spiti Valley. Based on the days you have in hand, you must have a carefully drafted plan on where do you want to be on which day. A Spiti trip is not really a frequent affair so while you visit here, you need to make sure that you make the most out of it and visit as many places as you possibly can. I have written several articles providing examples of different itineraries broken by days; links to which I have provided below. Depending on how long your trip is going to last, you can pick an itinerary from the ones I have listed in these articles.
- 3 Days Itinerary for Spiti
- 4 Days Itinerary for Spiti
- 5 Days Itinerary for Spiti
- 6 Days Itinerary for Spiti
- 3 Detailed Plans to Visit Spiti in 6 Days
- A Detailed Itinerary for Visiting Spiti in Winters
- A Detailed Spiti Valley Itinerary from Manali
- Chandratal Itinerary – How to Plan a trip for 4 – 5 Days?
What to See in Spiti Valley
Next information that you should keep handy is a list of places that you would like to see. Your have been told that entire Spiti is a tourist destination in itself which is entirely correct. Every turn of the road here will present you with something new and you will not get tired of clicking your camera for hours. But there must be some places that can be called as the prime attraction, correct? You are right. In the article below, I have listed every place in Ladakh that is worth a visit. Depending on the time you have for the trip, you can decide which one (or all of them) you want to cover.
- Tourist Attractions In Spiti Valley & Its Vicinity
- Festivals of Spiti Valley
- Kaza – Sightseeing, Accommodation and Other Facilities
Where to Stay in Spiti Valley
After what to see comes information related to accommodation. Spiti Valley is getting popular by each passing year but the fact is that it still remains to be a remote region. Knowing what your choices of accommodation are and where you can break your journey for the night is of utmost importance. It will also play a crucial part in drafting your final itinerary and deciding on number of days for the trip. In the articles below, I have listed some recommended hotels available on the circuit.
- Recommended and Best Hotels in Spiti Valley
- HPPWD Rest House : Locations, Contacts, Charges & How to Book
- Accommodation in Spiti Valley: Recommended Hotels & Guest Houses
- Accommodation at Chandratal – What are the options
- Camping at Chandratal – Best camp sites
How to Travel to Spiti Valley
Now since we have all the information we need, let us talk about how to travel to and in Spiti Valley. In the articles below, I have talked about how to journey on the two roads leading to Spiti Valley; the Manali – Kaza and Shimla – Kaza routes; and then how to go areas like Kibber, Pin Valley and Chandratal after you have arrived in Kaza. The first article is a very comprehensive road map of entire Spiti Circuit; then the following articles are detailed explanations of the route.
- Lahaul Spiti Road Map With Distances
- Lahaul Spiti Route Guide
- How to Ride to Spiti Valley on 100CC Motorcycle or Scooter?
- How to Plan a Trip from Delhi to Chandratal Lake?
- How to Plan a Trip from Kaza to Komik, Hikkim and Langza
- How to Plan a Trip from Kaza to Kibber, Gette & Tashigong
- How to Plan a Trip to Chandratal Lake
- How to Plan a Trip to Pin Valley, Spiti
- How to Travel through Spiti Valley In Winters
- Shimla to Spiti Itinerary : A Detailed Travel Plan
Renting a Motorcycle for Spiti Valley Trip
Trip to a place like Spiti Valley is best when done by your own vehicle. This however is not really a choice open for everyone. For one reason or another, a lot of people travel here by other modes of transport as well of which, renting a motorcycle is one of the top ones. There are several places that you can rent a bike from for the trip like Manali, Shimla or Kaza itself. However, before you finalize the deal, you must carefully inspect the motorcycle to ensure that it will not give you trouble anywhere. In the articles below, I have provided information on where you can rent a bike from with some recommended names; and what is it that you should pay heed to before renting a bike.
Cost of Spiti Trip
Budget for the trip is one of the biggest deciding factors. While your overall expense incurred during the trip will completely depend on your own personal spending habits; some idea on the minimum cost will still be beneficial. Below is a list of articles that can help you calculate the overall cost you will incur during the trip; and how you can keep it within budget.
Public Transport Services in Spiti Valley
Off-late, a lot of people have started to visit Spiti valley using public transport services; either in form of a Bus or shared cabs. If you too are planning a trip here by Public transport, then in the article below you will find information related to bus schedules and shared taxis.
Last but not the least, below are some articles where I have shared some quick tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey. Most of these tips are based on my own personal experience of Spiti Valley after being there several times. Read through and I am sure this information can be of help to you.
- Mobile Network in Spiti Valley – Coverage and Data Connectivity
- How to Handle Acute Mountain Sickness In Spiti
- Top 10 Things NOT to do in Spiti Valley
- Why you should avoid traveling from Manali to Kaza in October
- Is it Safe to Travel to Spiti Valley in Monsoon Season?
- Other Facilities In Spiti
I have tried to cover as much information as I could in these articles. These should be able to provide you with a knowledge of the region, a map, information on accommodation and other facilities so that you can plan your trip in a better manner. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask in the comments section below; or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.