The pictures below of Spiti valley road conditions are from my trip last year. These may be of use to someone planning to travel to Spiti valley next year. There will not be a huge difference from now till next year in the condition of the road from Shimla to Kaza.
Manali Kaza road anyways remains in a terrible state always. But the pictures below should be able to give you a visual presentation of what you are about to get yourself into. As they say, a picture is better than a thousand words.
Spiti Valley Road Conditions
In a nutshell, this is how the condition of the road currently is.
- Delhi to Chandigarh – Good
- Chandigarh to Shimla – Bad for the first 25 kilometers. Rest is average.
- Shimla to Narkanda – Good smooth road
- Narkanda to Jeori – Mostly good with a few bad patches in between.
- Jeori to Sarahan – Very Bad
- Jeori to Karcham – Mix of average and good
- Karcham to Chitkul – The road from Karcham to Sangla is good but from Sangla to Chitkul is really bad.
- Karcham to Kalpa – Mostly good
- Kalpa to Nako – Mix of good and bad
- Nako to Dhankar – Mix of good, bad and ugly
- Dhankar to Pin Valley – A badly broken dirt road
- Dhankar to Kaza – Mostly average
- Kaza to Kibber / Komik / Chicham – Fresh tarmac, super smooth
- Kaza to Losar – Very bad condition; terribly broken
- Losar to Kunzum Pass – Extremely bad
- Chandratal Road – A complete nightmare; very narrow and badly broken.
- Batal to Gramphoo – Nightmare continues; Extremely bad.
- Gramphoo to Manali – Good but lot of traffic
Below is a visual presentation of what I stated above.
Shimla to Narkanda
Narkanda to Rampur
Rampur to Karcham
Karcham to Sangla
Sangla to Chitkul
Kunzum Pass to Batal
Batal to Gramphoo
Gramphoo to Manali
Spiti Valley Road Conditions – Conclusion
I hope the information and pictures above on Spiti Valley Road Conditions were of help. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below and I will be happy to answer. You can also follow me on Instagram and chat with me live there or subscribe to my YouTube channel and ask a question there.