Everyone has a different definition of the word “accommodation” while out on a vacation. For some people, it is just a bed they need to crash on for the night; some need a decent enough and moderately priced place, others would define accommodation as part of the vacation and would look for a hotel with all the luxuries. Majority of the known tourist destinations or vacation spots in our country have ample stay options to offer fitting in all these three categories. Even if you just went to these places without any prior knowledge, you know what you will have no trouble finding a hotel there. However, when it comes to traveling to a place like Spiti, knowing that the region is remote, some knowledge about accommodation IN Spiti Valley can definitely be helpful.
In this article, I will provide an overview of accommodation in Spiti valley, covering places where you can find a place to stay and a list of some good hotels and guest houses there. Some other stay options include monasteries and home stays which too I will cover.
This list is not just restricted to accommodation in Spiti valley but also includes places that you will travel through while getting there. A journey to Spiti valley is usually termed as Spiti circuit, starting from Shimla and ending at Manali or vice versa. I will cover all major stops on the circuit and list down towns where you can hope to find a place to stay.
The itinerary that I am referring to for this article is posted at the link below.
.A lot of people would prefer to call and book their stay in advance for peace of their mind and for those I will also add contact details of a few hotels that I have. It includes both Budget and luxurious hotels.
Accommodation in Spiti Valley
There are several types of accommodations to choose from in Spiti valley, depending upon your choice and budget.
PWD Rest Houses
I have shared a complete list of PWD rest houses, phone numbers and information on how to book in a different article . If you are able to plan your stays in rest houses throughout the trip, then you can keep your expenses to bare minimum. These rest houses are reasonably priced, spacious and very clean. Read
Monastery Guest Houses / Home Stays
At some of the places in Spiti valley, you can even stay at right inside the Monastery, at a guest house managed by the Lamas. This option is one of its kind; staying with the Lamas, eating what they eat and experiencing their lifestyle.
As far as my knowledge goes, only two monasteries at Tabo and Dhankar have this arrangement. There is a monastery in Pin valley too where you can stay for the night but there is no guest house as such. Lamas there will assign you a room with warm enough blankets. Your stay will be very basic, simple but comfortable. Food is cooked by Lamas so do not expect any fancy meals. Menu will be limited and food will be simple but delicious. I am not sure about whether they allow you to bring in non-vegetarian food or not but while staying there, ensure that you are not indulging yourself in smoking or drinking. Respect the place you are staying at.
Several remote villages like Kibber and Kaumik have only the option of a homestay. You stay with a local villager in his own house, share their food and get a taste of Spitian life. This too is a great option but do not keep your hopes too high as your stay will be very simple and basic. Like Monasteries, this too is a very simple but comfortable stay. Food will be simple as you will be eating what a common villager eats.
Hotels & Guest Houses
Staying at a hotel or guest house is of course the preferred choice by most. Below is a list of a few recommended hotels and guest houses on Spiti circuit. I of course have not stayed in all of them. Some of these were recommended by friends and other readers, some were added to the list after I read great reviews about them over the web and a few are the ones where I myself stayed as a guest while traveling to Spit..
Budget Hotels in Shimla
The biggest problem in Shimla however is of parking. Cars are not allowed to the Mall, Lakkad Bazar or Upper ridge. There are public car parking areas where you will have to leave your vehicle.
It will be tough to find a hotel that have a parking of their own and the ones that do, will not charge any less than Rs. 2000 to Rs. 2500. I have never stayed at Shimla because I just find a little too crowded for my taste but below are a few hotels that have been highly recommended by friends and I also have read great reviews about these.
- Hotel Ghar: It is located right at Main Mall, Shimla and best place to stay if on a budget. Only problem is of no parking space available anywhere on Mall road. Phone number is 098162 44444.
- Hotel Mayur: Another good budget hotel right next to scandal point on Ridge. Clean and spacious enough rooms within a reasonable price range. Phone number is 0177-2652393, 2652398
- Hotel White: If you are concerned with Car parking, Hotel White will be a good place to check in to. They have their own parking; rooms are quite clean, wall to wall carpet. Phone number is 0177 265 5276
These are just three hotels that came recommended by a few friends but as I mentioned above, hotels in Shimla are in ample and you will have no trouble finding one, though finding one in budget could be if you are traveling at a time like December.
Budget Hotels in Narkanda
Narkanda is usually my favorite place when traveling towards Spiti. On Day 1, I land straight in Narkanda and break my journey there rather than Shimla. Within last few years, a lot of hotels have come up here too and most of them are right on the main road as you pass through the small town. You will have no trouble find a decent accommodation here nowadays. Below are list of some hotels that I have stayed at in Narkanda, but as I said, there are several more.
- Hotel Mahamaya: This probably is the oldest in Narkanda but can be a bit overpriced nowadays. It is located right on the main road at the chowk and hard to miss. I wouldn’t really call it a budget hotel though but stay is quite comfortable and rooms are clean enough. Phone number is 01782 242 448
- Hotel Old Thorn: If you are looking for a decent accommodation within budget, then Hotel Old thorn would be a good place to stay. Phone number is 01782 242448
- PWD Guest Hose: There is a PWD guest house at Narkanda which is a good place to stay within budget if you are able to talk the caretaker in to letting you stay. Read the PWD article I provided link of above in this article
- Hotel Hatu: It is probably the best place to stay in Narkanda, thought I wouldn’t categorized it as a budget stay. Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPTDC) runs it. Phone number is 01782 242430
Budget Hotels in Sarahan
Below is a list of a few good places where you may stay in Sarahan.
- Hotel Shrikhand: Best place to stay in Sarahan but not if you are within a budget. HPTDC runs this one. Phone: 01782 274 234
- Hotel Snow View: A good place to stay if you are on budget. Rooms are quite clean and comfortable with hot running water. You do get a good view of Himalayan peaks from this hotel. Phone number is 01782 274728.
- Bhimkali Temple Lodge: You can also get a room to stay at the lodge run by Bhimkali temple authorities. Charges will be between Rs. 200 – Rs. 300 but stay here is very basic. Also, you will not be allowed to smoke or drink within premises or to enter drunk here.
- PWD Rest House: There is a PWD rest house both at Sarahan and Jeori if you are able to book in advance or talk to the caretaker in letting you stay.
Budget Hotels in Sangla:
Listed below are a few good hotels and a campsite in Sangla. Personally I prefer staying at Chitkul as compared to Sangla because I find Chitkul way more peaceful and scenic than Sangla. However a lot of people break their journey at Sangla as well and there are a lot of hotels here.
- Hotel Mount Kailash – Phone: 01786 242 527
- Hotel Monal Regency – Phone: 09816565933
- Prakash Regency – Phone: 9816283268 / 01786-242611 / 01786-242218
- Kinner Camps – Phone: 094183 39866 (not recommended for a budget stay)
- Hotel Devi Regency – Phone: 094183 42999 (If you are on a budget trip)
- Banjara Camps & Retreat – Phone: 098168 81936 (not recommended for a budget stay)
Budget hotels in Chitkul
Chitkul is one of my favorite hill stations. A little hamlet at a perfectly scenic location, worthy of spending at least a day in complete silence all around. Listed below are a few good hotels in Chitkul with contact information.
- Panchali Resort: Probably the best place to stay at Chitkul. It is not way too expensive, tariff would be around Rs. 1500- Rs. 2000. Phone number is 094594 08533.
- Baspa River Camp: Lost phone number for these guys but a good camp site right next to River Baspa.
- Samaa Resorts: A bit on the costlier side but great place to stay, especially if you are with family. Phone number is 098920 98962.
- Panchali Resorts: A great place to stay and not way too expensive either. Phone # is 094594 08533.
- Amar Guest House: Good place to stay if you are on a budget trip, charges won’t be more than Rs. 300 – Rs. 500.
- Alpine view Guest House: Another good budget place to stay.
- Thakur Guest House: A bit old but Ok place to stay if you are on a strict budget.
- PWD Rest House: Chitkul too has a PWD rest house that you can stay at. Just talk to the caretaker and he will let you stay easily, not much of hassle here. Charges would be about Rs. 500.
Budget Hotels in Rakcham
- Kailash View Camps: Phone: 090414 41767
- Hotel Rupin River View: Phone: 098166 8678
Budget Hotels in Kalpa
- Hotel Aucktong: Good place to stay if you are on a budget trip. Phone number is 01786 226 019.
- Rakpa Regency: Phone – 01786-226587
- Kinner Villa: Phone: 094180 36006
- The Kinner Kailash Cottage (HPTDC): Phone – 01786 226 159
Budget Hotels in Nako
- Lake View Hotel: Contact person Ranjit singh Negi. Mobile 09418759493: Charges Rs. 1500 for a double bed room
- Moon Lake Guest House: Phone – 094183 43559
- Knaygoh Kinner Camps: Phone – 094183 43559
- Doctor Shakshuka Guesthouse: It is near Nako Monastery and a good place to stay if you are on budget. Clean rooms but a shared washroom. Charges are about Rs. 500.
- PWD Guest House: There is also a PWD guest house at Nako right next to the lake where you can stay. Talk to the caretaker and he will allow you to stay without a booking, with a little persuasion. Very clean rooms and charges are about Rs. 500 – Rs. 700. There was no TV here the last I visited in 2015.
Budget Hotels in Tabo
- Hotel Sidharth: Best place to stay in Tabo if you are on a budget trip. Phone number is 9418581203, 089881 07436.
- Dhey Guest House: Another good budget place to stay. Phone : 09418271129, 09418537574, Contact person is Anil Bodh
- Kunzum Guest House: Another great place to stay just behind Tabo Monastery. Phone number is 01906-223365, 09418555210
- Tabo Monastery: Yes, in Tabo you can stay at the Monastery itself. Very basic but clean rooms. Dinner is served in the dining room by Lamas themselves. A must have experience in my opinion. Just go to the Monastery and ask the Lamas there if they will allow you to stay. Phone number there is 1906-233315, 1906-233333.
Budget Hotels in Dhankar
- Dhankar Monastery & Guest House: Like Tabo Monastery, there is a guest house within the monastery at Dhankar where you may stay if the Lamas here allowed you to.
Budget Hotels in Pin Valley:
- Tara Guest House in Mud Village. Contact person is Sonam Gialson; 09418365251, 09418441453, 08991723015
Hotel Himalaya in Gulling Village. Tariff: Rs 200 – Rs. 300
- Narzang Guesthouse in Sagnam Village. Tariff: Rs 200 – Rs. 300
- Ibex Guesthouse in Sagnam Village Tariff: Rs 200 – Rs. 300
- PWD Rest house in Sagnam village. Phone number is 01906 – 222252.
- Kunzum Home stay in Mud village.
- Pin Parvati Guest House in Mud village. Phone number is 9418571167 or 8991723015
- Snow Valley Guest House in Mud Village. Phone number is 9418985242 or 8991723015.
Budget Hotels in Kaza
- Spiti Valley Hotel – Phone: 094182 00183. Best place to stay at Kaza in my opinion. Very clean rooms and reasonably priced. Owner is a very hospitable and friendly person and he also runs a camp site at Chandratal. Highly recommended. Give him my reference and you may get a discounted price as well.
- Hotel Sakya Abode: Phone – 094595 24103. Another place that comes highly recommended by a lot of people.
- Kaycee Lodge
- Hotel Deyzor: Phone – 094184 02660
- Hotel Khangsar: A good place to stay if you are on a strict budget. Stay here will not cost any more than Rs. 200 – Rs.300.
- PWD Rest House: There is also a PWD rest house in Kaza where you can stay if on a budget. Phone number is 01906-222202
Budget Hotels in Kibber and Komik
The best way to stay in either of these villages would be of paying guest. These are very tiny hamlets, only a handful of houses and if you spoke to any of the villagers, they will let you stay in their home for the night at a very nominal charge. Kibber has a guest house as well by the name of Serkong Guest House. Contact person in Renchan Dolma and number is 9418538140; tariff would be between Rs. 200 – Rs.400.
Budget Hotels / Camp Sites at Chandratal
For Chandratal, Jamaica’s camps come highly recommended. I have stayed here a few time, have sent a lot of people to Jamaica and they all came back with high words. Read Jamaica’s Camps Review for more details and contact information.
One of the hottest tourist destinations of our country, needs no introduction and is filled with numerous hotels. Just take a walk through the small town and you will find several hotels fitting in any budget.
The names I mentioned above were a few recommended ones. For an exhaustive list of hotels and guest houses on Spiti Circuit, please visit the link below.
I hope this information on accommodation in Spiti valley was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below and I would be glad to answer. Also, if you have stayed at another hotel while traveling to Spiti and have good or bad feedback about it, please do add in the comments in order to help others.