The procedure for applying for a Ladakh Inner Line Permit online was introduced in order to simplify the process for tourists and reduce the paperwork required. While you are still required to go to the DC office in Leh to get your permit stamped, it still is a great way to secure your permits beforehand. In this article, I will run you down the complete process to get a Ladakh permit online.
Back in 2014, the need to get the permit for visiting places like Nubra Valley and Pangong Lake was scrapped. This was done in order to promote tourism in the region, to support the livelihood of the local people, and to also better connect Ladakh with the rest of the country.
But 3 years later, in 2017, ILP had to be reintroduced due to the increasing Chinese incursions in the area. By that time, tourism in Ladakh had increased several folds, and managing everyone in the DC office proved to be difficult. This is when the online portal was launched and people were able to get their Ladakh permits online.
As per the circular issued in 2017, a copy of which I will share further in the article, both Inner Line permit for Indian citizens and Protected area permit for foreign nationals can now be availed online.
Ladakh Permit Online Procedure
The biggest problem with the online procedure is that it is not a complete process. You can get a permit online, pay the related charges and print a copy out but you will still need to visit the DC office to get it stamped. Without the stamp, the permit will not be considered valid.
Due to the ongoing COVID situation, the need to get the permit stamped at the DC office has been removed temporarily. This was done in order to avoid the gathering of tourists in the DC office and to maintain social distancing.
Please note that this update is only for the year 2021 and may get removed in 2022. It may also get continued if the authorities deem it beneficial.
How to Get Ladakh Inner Line Permit Online
In order to apply for ILP online, you need to visit the Online Portal and then follow the steps mentioned below. It will ask you for identity proof so please keep your Aadhar card/ Voter ID / Driving License handy. There is no need to register yourself first on the portal. You can directly apply for the permit.
In case the hyperlink above did not work, this is the page you need to visit – https://www.lahdclehpermit.in/
After the webpage loads, you will notice 5 options in a floating tab on the right-hand side of the page. Click on ‘Domestic’. This is the option for Indian citizens.
- It will take you to another page asking you to populate your details.
- Mention Name, Mobile Number, E-mail address, Gender, and the state you belong to.
- Click on the ID type drop-down and select the one that you have handy.
- Fill out your Aadhar card, DL, Passport, or voter ID number.
- Mention your complete address
- In the ‘Issue Permit’ field, select ‘Directly’
- Click in the “Date of Arrival” field and a calendar will fly out. Select your date of arrival in Leh town.
- Review your dates and the entire information once again.
- Click on Register.
Individual Vs Group
- A fly-out menu will ask you if you want to do an Individual registration or a group registration.
- If you are traveling alone, select Individual.
- In case you were traveling in a group and were applying permit for everyone, select group registration.
- If you select group registration, on the next page, you will have to enter details of everyone traveling with you and their ID numbers.
- On the next screen, you will be provided a list of places that you want to apply the permit for. You can select the places on basis of your itinerary.
- My recommendation will be that you select all of them. The charges for permits are based on the number of days and people, not the places. So to ensure that you do not miss out on a place because you did not where it was located, select all of the options you are presented with.
- In the reference field, verify your name and ID number once again.
- Please note down Reference ID. Copy-paste it somewhere because you will need it to print your permit later.
- Select your date of Arrival and Departure.
- Click on Next
- A self-declaration pop-up menu will appear with the terms and conditions of the permit. Read carefully, check the I accept box and click on Accept.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Online Payment
- On the next page, you will be presented with complete details of your permit and the related cost. Review the details and click on Pay Now at the bottom of the page.
- It will take you to another page where you can make the online payment.
- After payment, you will be provided with a receipt that you can take a printout of.
- Using the Reference ID, you can take a printout of your permit. For this, go back to the homepage and click on the option that reads Print Permit.
If you selected the Group Registration link, you will need to fill out the details of the other travelers on the next page. The total charge that you will pay later will then be for the entire group.
Making an online payment is not mandatory. If you do not wish to pay on the portal, you can still take a print of the permit and make payment at the DC office in Leh.
I hope this information on Ladakh Inner Line Permit online portal was of help. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below, or at our Community Forum, and I will be happy to answer.