One of the biggest hassles for anyone traveling to Ladakh or Spiti from Manali now is the requirement to obtain a permit for Rohtang Pass. While I totally agree from the point of some drastic steps to reduce the increasing pollution level at Rohtang top; for tourists there is no other word than “hassle” that describes this rule better. All the applied restrictions and limitations made travelling on this route a bit troublesome. Ever since its introduction a few years back, both the actual restriction and the process to obtain the permits have been revised a few times in order to make it simpler for tourists. I am not sure if it did get simple enough yet but below is some current information on Rohtang Pass permits in year 2017 and how to obtain one.
Rohtang Pass Permits 2017
- A need for obtaining permits to visit Rohtang Pass is still in effect for all types of vehicles, including motorcycles. Last year there was a lot of confusion around whether motorcycles were exempt but the fact is that they are not. Even if you are travelling on a motorcycle, you still need to obtain the permit before going towards Rohtang top.
- Permits are further broken in two categories. One applies to vehicles traveling only until Rohtang Pass and returning to Manali, this one is called “Permit for tourism purpose”. The other one is issued to vehicles crossing Rohtang Pass to get to the other side, towards Spiti or Lahaul valley, this one is called “Permit for Travel purpose”.
- For tourism purpose permits, a daily limit of 800 petrol vehicles and 400 Diesel vehicles is in effect. If you are visiting Manali and would like a short visit to Rohtang, this is the permit you need to get.
- There is no vehicle limitation for permits for travel purpose. If you are travelling to Ladakh or Spiti via Manali, this is the permit you would need to obtain.
- No permits are issued for Tuesdays as Rohtang Pass remains closed for maintenance work on this day and out of bound for tourists. This however only applies to Tourism permits, not travel permits. People intending to travel to Ladakh or Spiti can travel on Tuesdays as well.
- Vehicles coming from other side of Rohtang towards Manali are also not affected by this restriction. There is no permit required to cross Rohtang from Lahaul or Spiti side.
- Barriers will be set up at Gulaba with a computerized system to verify the permits. For example, if you obtained a permit to cross over Rohtang but tried to use this permit to just visit Rohtang top and come back to Manali, you will be caught at the Gulaba check post while returning. Please do not attempt this. There will be barriers on both side of Rohtang Pass recording the entry and exit of permits and vehicles in a computerized system.
- Vehicles found in violation of the above law will be fined and black listed.
- Permits at SDM office, Manali will be issued all 7 days (yes on Sundays too).
Rohtang Pass Permits for Bikes / Motorcycles
As I mentioned above, motorcycles are not exempt from this rule. If traveling on motorcycle, you will need to obtain an undertaking certificate from SDM office in Manali. There is however no fee applicable for motorcycles.
Rohtang Pass Permit Charges
All vehicles will be required to pay a sum of Rs. 500 as permit fee and Rs. 50 congestion charge, so a total of Rs. 550 per permit. Buses and Heavy motor vehicles will have to pay Rs. 100 for congestion charge so a total of Rs. 600 per permit. These charges are however applicable only for tourism purpose permits. For traveling beyond Rohtang (travel permits), you will only have to pay a congestion charge of Rs. 50. There will no refund if you do not use or try to cancel your permit.
How to get Rohtang Pass Permits
There are two ways to obtain the permit. One is from the SDM office Manali and the other is to get it online. No matter how you apply, this permit is available on first come, first served basis.
Documents required for Rohtang Pass Permits
In order to get a permit for Rohtang La, you will need to produce your pollution under control certificate, your vehicle’s registration certificate, and driving license. Your vehicle should also not be over 10 years old or else you will not get the permit.
How to get Rohtang Pass Permit from Manali SDM Office
You will need to visit the SDM office in Manali and deposit your documents between 10 AM till 1 PM. You will have to visit the office again between 3 PM to 5 PM in order to collect the permits. It will not be handed over to you at the time of document submission.
How to get Rohtang Pass Permit Online
Please Click Here or visit the link below to read in detail the process of obtaining Rohtang Permits Online.
I hope this information on Rohtang Pass permits was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below and I would be glad to answer.