When authorities decided to remove ILP restriction back in 2014, it was a sigh of relief for everyone. But this year, ILP was implemented again and this time, with charges revised to almost double. While I agree that getting ILP was not really that troublesome of a task, it was still a hassle to go the DM office, fill out the paperwork and getting the required signatures. With the recent increase in tourism in Ladakh, this now can even mean standing in a lone queue for hours. However, in an effort to make it simpler for everyone, authorities have now launched a web portal to avail Ladakh Inner Line Permit Online.
As per a recent circular, a copy of which I will share further in the article, effective 1st June 2017; both Inner Line permit for Indian citizens and Protected area permit for foreign nationals can now be availed online.
Ladakh Inner Line Permit Online Portal
In order to apply for ILP online, go to http://lahdclehpermit.in/ and then follow the steps mentioned below. It will ask you for an identify proof so please keep your Aadhar card/ Voter ID / Driving License handy.
- After the webpage loads, at the bottom of the screen, click on the half circle that reads “Issue”. A fly menu will appear from where you will have to click on “Domestic Clients”.
- It will take you to another page asking you to populate your details.
- Mention the year of your travel, your Name, state that you reside in and your gender. Click on ID type drop-down and select the one that you have handy.
- Fill out your Aadhar card, DL, Passport or voter ID number.
- Mention your complete address
- In “Issue Permit” field, select “Directly”
- Click in the “Date of Arrival” field and a calendar will fly out. Select your date of arrival in Leh town.
- Review your dates and the entire information once again because once you submit, there is no way you can go back and change anything again.
- Hit Submit. A fly out menu will tell you that you have been registered successfully. Click Ok.
- It will take you to the next page where you will have to select the areas that you need Inner line permit for.
- At the bottom of the screen, select your date of arrival in Leh and the date of departure.
- Hit Apply for Permit
- A new fly out pop up will tell you that circuit has been assigned successfully. Click Ok.
- A new pop up reading “Inserted Successfully” will appear. Click Ok.
- It will take you to another page showing details of your permit. It will mention your name, ID number, state of residence and different fee related.
- Either print it out or take a screenshot of it.
Now until this far, it all sounds Ok but there are several unanswered questions. There is no option to make payment anywhere on the portal. For this I am assuming that once you take this printout, you will have to go to the address mentioned below with a copy of it; in order to make payment and get the permits signed / stamped.
Opposite J&K Bank
The office is open on all working days between 9AM to 7PM. This is actually a relief because the window of getting the permits earlier was only between 10AM to 3PM.
Another big problem is that once you register, there is no way you can go back to make any changes. There is no log in or “Check details” page where you can put in your ID or make any revisions. The site won’t also let you put in the details again or re-register. If you want to travel to Chushul, Hanle or Batalik, there is no option to apply for these routes online yet
In the end, this entire portal is still under construction and I believe there is a lot more to come. For example, the Do’s and Dont’s page is not up and running yet and neither is the Destinations page. Once this page is fully functional however, I am sure it will be a big relief for both the authorities and tourists.
To check further details related to ILP like destinations that you need it for or charges that you will have to pay, please read How to obtain Inner Line Permit for Ladakh.
I really do not have any further information on this as of now as the portal was just launched. I would however request anyone traveling towards Ladakh in coming few days to obtain more details on this and share it here to help others. A copy of the circular issued is shared below.
I hope this information on Ladakh Inner Line Permit online portal was helpful. If you have any further information to share related to this; please feel free to do so either in the comments section below or at our Community Forum.