Planning a trip to Spiti valley this season? Thinking about going by public transport? If the answer is yes then below is the latest schedule of Spiti Bus Service in 2021. The image below is of the schedule from the Kaza Bus stand. It lists the available buses and their timings that you can board to reach Kaza; as well as other buses to other parts of Spiti from Kaza.
The language is Hindi, which if you don’t know then scroll down below where I have listed the same schedule in English.
Also Read: How to Plan a Trip to Spiti Valley?
Traveling to Spiti valley by Public transport is a great choice for people traveling on a limited budget. HRTC runs regular buses to and within Spiti valley that you can use to move between towns easily and comfortably.
These are all ordinary buses but comfortable enough for a few hours of journey. Fare for these buses too is very reasonable since they get used mostly by locals and villagers. As a matter of fact, traveling by buses and shared taxis, you will easily be able to wrap up your Spiti trip on a budget of 10 to 12k at most.
Spiti Bus Service
Another great reason why you may want to board a Bus for Spiti is of you weren’t too comfortable with your own driving skills. Spiti is notorious for its bad roads and is definitely not the place where you would want to go if you weren’t sure that you will be able to handle a motorcycle or car well.
If you were living in farther states like South or West India, then bringing your own vehicle won’t really be a choice for everyone always. In this situation too, Spiti Bus service would be the best way to plan your trip.
Apart from the information below, I will also recommend you to take a look at HRTC Bus Time Table – AC and Ordinary Buses. This post lists HRTC bus timings to major towns in Himachal Pradesh.
Spiti Valley Bus Schedule
Below is the bus schedule of Spiti Bus service that is mentioned in the image above in Hindi.
- Kaza to Kullu Bus – 5:00 AM
- Chango to Kaza Bus – 6:00 AM
- Kaza to Shimla Bus – 7:30 AM
- Mud Village to Kaza Bus – 6:00 AM
- Komik to Kaza Bus – 7:30 AM
- Chicham to Kaza Bus – 8:00 AM
- Kaza to Chango Bus – 2:30 PM
- Lhalung to Kaza Bus – 7:30 AM
- Kaza to Mud Village Bus – 4:00 PM
- Kaza to Losar Bus – 4:30 PM
- Losar to Kaza Bus – 7:00 AM
- Kaza to Komik Bus – 5:00 PM
- Kaza to Demul Bus – 5:00 PM
- Demul to Kaza Bus – 7:30 AM
- Kaza to Chicham Bus – 5:00 PM
- Kaza to Lhalung Bus – 5:15 PM
Schedule of other Buses that can be helpful for tourists.
Shimla to Kaza Bus
There is a Bus from Shimla that leaves for Kaza at 6:30 PM. This Bus is a direct Bus from Shimla to Kaza. It travels all night and reaches Reckong Peo sometime at 6 AM. At Peo, the conductor would ask the passengers for for anyone who wants to continue traveling to Kaza and give out tickets to whoever is continuing and assigns a seat number as well. The Bus here may or may not change but the driver and conductor definitely will.
At 5:30 AM, this bus would again start from Reckong Peo for Kaza with new passengers who boarded from Peo. It arrives at Kaza sometime in the evening at around 5 PM. Below is a breakdown of fares per person.
- Delhi to Shimla: Rs. 420
- Shimla to Reckong Peo: Rs. 436
- Reckong Peo to Tabo: Rs. 312
- Tabo to Kaza: Rs. 88
Shimla Bus Stand Time Table
Below is the schedule of Buses from Shimla Bus Stand (ISBT Shimla).
The text in the image above may not be clear so let me word the schedule above. These are the buses that you can board for visiting Spiti Valley, Sangla Valley, or Kinnaur Valley.
- Shimla to Kaza Bus – 6:30 PM Daily
- Shimla to Pooh Bus – 4:00 AM; Daily
- Shimla to Reckong Peo Bus – 5:00 AM Daily
- Shimla to Rampur Bus – 3:10 PM, 4:10 PM; Daily
- Shimla to Tapri Bus – 11:15 AM Daily
- Reckong Peo to Tabo Bus – 9:00 AM Daily
- Rampur to Tabo Bus – 5:00 AM Daily
- Tabo to Rampur via Reckong Peo Bus – 5:00 AM Daily
- Delhi to Reckong Peo Bus – 6:00, 7:15 AM Daily
- Delhi to Rampur Bus – 4:30 AM, 5:30 AM, 11:40 AM, 11:00 PM, 11:30 PM Daily
- Chandigarh to Sangla Bus – 10:30 AM Daily
- Chandigarh to Reckong Peo Bus – 9:00 AM, 10:20 AM; 10:00 PM Daily
- Chandigarh to Kafnu Bus – 8:30 AM Daily
- Chandigarh to Anni Bus – 8:15 AM Daily
- Kalka to Sarahan Bus – 9:30 AM Daily
- Ambala to Rampur Bus – 01:30 PM Daily
- Haridwar to Reckong Peo Bus – 5:15 AM Daily
- Haridwar to Sarahan Bus – 9:10 AM Daily
- Dharamshala to Thangi Bus – 4:30 AM Daily
- Solan to Lippa Bus – 6:15 AM Daily
- Nalagarh to Reckong Peo Bus – 10:00 AM Daily
- Hamirpur to Reckong Peo Bus – 10:40 AM, 8:00 PM Daily
- Hamirpur to Rampur Bus – 10:30 PM Daily
- Jammu to Rampur Bus – 7:00 AM Daily
- Devra to Premnagar Bus – 9:00 AM Daily
Other Buses En Route
- Kaza to Chandratal Bus – No Direct Bus available. You will have to board the Manali bus, get down at Batal, and then hitchhike or walk to Chandratal.
- Reckong Peo to Chandigarh Bus – Daily Bus at 1:30 PM
- Kaza to Dhankar Bus – No direct Bus available. You can board either of the buses going towards Peo or Chango for this journey. You will have to however get down at Shishling and walk uphill to Dhankar.
- Manali to Chandratal Bus – No Direct Bus available. You will have to board the Kaza bus, get down at Batal, and then hitchhike or walk to Chandratal.
- Kaza to Reckong Peo Bus – Daily Bus at 7.30 AM
Kinnaur Bus Service
- Reckong Peo to Sangla Bus – 9.30 AM
- Reckong Peo to Chitkul Bus – 9.30 AM (Same Sangla Bus that goes all the way to Chitkul)
- Kalpa to Reckong Peo Bus – Regular Buses throughout the day
- Kalpa to Shimla Bus – 7:40 AM
- Reckong Peo to Rakcham Bus – 4.00 PM. Can also use this bus for Sangla
- Buses to Sarahan – There are a few buses in the day that go to Sarahan. Your best bet would be to wait at Jeori chowk and board either a Bus or shared taxi for Sarahan. The frequency of shared taxis is more than the buses.
- Sangla to Reckong Peo Bus – Daily at 12 noon.
- Chitkul to Reckong Peo Bus – Two buses in the day. Morning at 9:00 am and another at 1:00 pm
- Shimla to Sangla Bus – Daily at 6.30 AM
- Shimla to Chitkul Bus – No direct bus available. You will have to reach Sangla and look for a mode of commute there.
- Sangla to Chitkul Bus – There are regular private buses, shared taxi plying between Sangla and Chitkul and you will have no problem finding a mode of commute.
How to Reach Spiti Valley by Bus
There are only two places from where you can get a direct bus for Spiti Valley; Shimla and Manali. Of course, there are a few variations to this statement; but as a tourist from outside of the state of Himachal, the best thing to do for you would be to reach either of these cities and then board a Bus for Spiti.
Both Shimla and Manali are among the most visited hill stations of our country and are very well connected to almost every major city nearby. You will have absolutely no problem finding a bus that is headed to either Shimla or Manali. For bus timings to these places, please look at the HRTC Bus time that I provided a link to in the para above.
Shimla to Spiti Valley Bus
There is a daily Bus service from Shimla to Kaza that leaves Shimla Bus Stand at 5 AM. This bus completes the entire journey in 2 days with a night halt at Reckong Peo. It starts from Shimla in the morning and reaches Peo by late afternoon. From Peo, it then starts in the morning at 7 again and reaches Kaza by late afternoon.
This is the Bus that you would really want to rely upon for your entire Spiti trip. It runs through the entire Kinnaur and Spiti valley before finally making it to Kaza. You can board it from Shimla and get down at the town of your choice. From that town then, you can board the same bus the next day at the same time for your next destination.
For example, if you wanted to visit Narkanda, then board this bus from Shimla at 6 and it will drop you at Narkanda at 10 AM. The next day, wait for this Bus to arrive and board again at 10 AM for your next destination.
Let us say for example that you wanted to go to Sarahan next. So board the bus from Narkanda at 10 AM and it will drop you at Jeori at about 1 PM. From Jeori then, take a shared cab to Sarahan and spend the night. The next day, be back at Jeori at 1 PM to board this Bus again for your next destination which in all probability would be (and should be) Reckong Peo.
Shimla to Spiti Valley Bus Fare
Your total fare from Shimla to Spiti valley would come out to be approximately Rs. 500 per person.
Manali to Spiti Valley by Bus
The bus from Manali to Kaza starts from the main Manali Bus stand at 6 AM. It takes the route via Rohtang Pass, Gramphoo, Batal, and Kunzum Pass before finally making it to Kaza by evening.
Manali to Spiti Bus Booking
There is no booking system available. It is an ordinary bus that you will have to board and buy a ticket on the spot.
Reckong Peo to Spiti Valley Bus
This is an extension of the Shimla Kaza Bus that I mentioned above. It starts from Reckong Peo at 7 AM and reaches Kaza by evening while traveling through Pooh, Khab, Nako, Tabo, and Dhankar.
Tabo to Kaza Bus
The daily bus from Reckong Peo to Kaza arrives at Tabo in the afternoon. This is the bus that you will board to reach Kaza. A better way would be to look for a shared cab or hitchhike rather than waiting all day for this bus. The distance between Tabo and Kaza is only 50 odd kilometers and you can easily get a shared cab for it.
Kaza to Tabo Bus
A Bus from Kaza starts for Reckong Peo early in the morning. You will board this bus and get down at Tabo. If you were traveling later in the day, you will have to look for a shared cab or hitchhike; both of which can easily be done.
How to reach Spiti from Delhi by Bus
There is no direct Delhi Spiti Bus available. If you want to travel from Delhi to Spiti Valley by Bus then you would have to break the journey in 3 days and use three different buses.
You would first board a Bus from Delhi to Shimla, then Shimla to Reckong Peo, and finally Reckong Peo to Kaza. Your Delhi to Spiti Bus Fare total would come out to be approximately Rs. 1,000 for all these three ordinary buses.
There is also a direct bus from Delhi to Reckong Peo that you can board. Traveling this way, you won’t have to break the journey in Shimla and will directly reach Peo in about 18 to 20 hours. There is no other direct Spiti bus service from Delhi and your options are limited to the ones I mentioned above.
Chandigarh to Spiti Bus
There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Spiti Valley. You will either have to reach Shimla, Manali, or Reckong Peo first from Chandigarh and then board a bus from Kaza. Regular HRTC buses ply from Chandigarh to all these three destinations.
Bhuntar to Spiti valley Bus
There is no direct bus from Bhuntar for Spiti valley. You will have to reach Manali first and board the Manali Kaza bus.
Dehradun to Spiti Valley Bus
Like Chandigarh, there is no direct Spiti bus service from Dehradun. You will first have to reach Shimla, Reckong Peo, or Manali.
Dharamshala to Spiti Valley Bus
There is no direct bus available from Dharamshala to Spiti valley. You will have to reach Shimla, Reckong Peo, or Manali first.
Kasol to Spiti Bus
There is no direct bus from Kasol to Spiti valley. You will first have to make it to Manali and then board the Manali Kaza bus.
For all these destinations, I would recommend you refer to the HRTC Bus Time Table article that lists down available bus services to Shimla, Reckong Peo, and Manali.
Delhi to Reckong Peo Bus
There is an ordinary direct bus available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate in Delhi at 8 PM for Reckong Peo. Two other buses are available in the morning at 6 AM and 7.15 AM. These buses take approximately 18 hours to complete the journey. Fare per person is about Rs. 600.
Or else, you can also take a bus from Delhi to Chandigarh first. From Chandigarh, there are deluxe buses that leave for Reckong Peo in the evening at 6 PM and 7 PM.
Kalpa to Tabo Bus
There is no direct bus available between Kalpa and Tabo. You will board the daily Kaza bus from Reckong Peo and get down at Tabo.
Nako to Tabo Bus
For traveling between Nako and Tabo, you will have to wait for the daily bus from Peo to arrive at Nako by noon. You can board this Bus and get down at Tabo. An even better way would be to just board a shared taxi or hitchhike as the distance between two places is no that great and will only take a couple of hours at most.
Spiti Bus Service – Conclusion
I hope the information above on Spiti Bus Service was of help. If you have any other questions; or need any further details; please feel free to ask in the comments section below, or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.