No Inner Line Permits Needed for Indian Nationals in Ladakh

by Vargis.Khan

Until now, an Inner line permit, was required for Indian citizens to visit certain areas in Ladakh; that were closer to Indo-China border. However as per the recent circular published by DM Office in Leh; the restriction for Inner line permits for Indian Citizens was removed; effective 1st May 2014

UPDATE: Please note that ILP has been reintroduced effective year 2017. Please read How to Obtain Inner Line Permit for Ladakh to get details regarding getting the permit.

No Inner Line Permits For Indian Citizens

Places where Indian citizens can visit without an Inner Line Permit as stated in the circular are,

  • Pangong Tso, Man, Merak : No ILP required to visit Pangong Tso, until the village of Merak.
  • Nubra Valley : No ILP required to cross Khardung La and enter Nubra Valley. It is covering Sumur and until Panamik on one side of the valley and Diskit, Hunder, Thoise, Changmar, Bukdang and Turtuk on the other.
  • Tso Moriri : No ILP required to visit Tso Moriri, via Chumthang route, that Leh – Upshi, Kumdok, Kere, Chumthang, Mahe, Sumdo and Karzok.
  • Nyoma, Loma Bend : Further on the chumthang route, you can continue till Loma Bend through Nyoma without obtaining an ILP.
  • Tangyar [Trekking] : You can trek on this route without an ILP now. [Leh – Sabhoo – Digger La – Khungru Gompa – Tangyar]
  • Dah and Hanu Villages : This is the Khaltse, Domkhar, Skurbuchan, Hanudo, Biama, Dha route
Foreign Nationals

Foreigners will still need to obtain a Protected Area Permit to visit all of the above mentioned areas. Circular only allows Indian Nationals to visit these places on basis of a valid identity card.


Earlier you were to obtain the Inner Line Permit and produce it at ITBP and Indian Army Check posts. Now a valid Identity card issued by the-government of India will suffice;. This will include your Passport, Driving license, Voter id card or Aadhar card.

Please note that you still need to get ILP for areas like Hanle, Chushul, Tsaga, beyond Loma bend, Chumur and Marisimik La. These areas are still restricted for Indian Nationals as well.

Here is a copy of the circular.

inner line permits

Inner Line Permits

Considering all the recent Chinese incursions in the area; I think it is a good move on government’s part to ensure more civilian movement in the region. The more tourist movement and more the locals here will feel themselves attached to the country. It will also help them to earn a better livelihood. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.

Related Articles


Bikash kumar sinha May 11, 2017 - 10:38 am

Good evening Vargis bhai,
What is the position of sach pass and kunkum pass.When will they open

Vargis.Khan May 11, 2017 - 3:25 pm

Good evening Bikash Bhai, Both will open by June 2nd to 3rd week.

Bikash kumar sinha May 11, 2017 - 1:42 am

Nargis bhai , good morning,
Is there a limit of around 800 vehicles petrol or diesel per day to go beyond Rohan i.e till leh .Do you think eight hundred people will apply per day to go to leh or anywhere beyond Rohan pass.Iam talking about traveller’s pass

Vargis.Khan May 11, 2017 - 2:51 am

Good Morning Bikash Bhai, Your auto correct option changed my name from Vargis to Nargis. LOL. Or did you type it wrong?

Coming to your question, this limit is applied to only vehicles traveling to Rohtang Pass and coming back to Manali; people who just want to visit Rohtang. No limit is applicable for people traveling beyond Rohtang to either Leh or Spiti valley.

Bikash kumar sinha May 10, 2017 - 4:20 pm

Hello Vargis bhai,
Do I need to keep 20 litre diesel can for my thar or there are enough petrol pumps in manali leh route

Vargis.Khan May 10, 2017 - 5:54 pm

Hello Bikash Da – Carry spare fuel just to be on a safer side. The last petrol pump is at Tandi after which there is nothing for another 350 odd kilometers. Tank up at Tandi and carry 10 odd liters or so. I myself own a Thar CRDE though.

Bikash kumar sinha May 10, 2017 - 1:52 am

If I reach DM office manali before five pm is it possible to get permit to go to leh through Rohan pass for the next day.i.e if I reach before 5pm on 31.05.2017 to DM office will they give permit for 01.06.2017

Vargis.Khan May 10, 2017 - 2:01 am

Bikash – This is an old post and ILPs are now back in effect. Please read the following posts for details. And no, you will have to submit your documents between 11 to 1 PM first and then go back to collect permit between 3-5 PM.

Bikash kumar sinha May 10, 2017 - 5:23 am

Vargis bhai,you are doing a great job.Your answers relieve so many others also.I am totally dependent on your updates.I will be in shimla on 30th evening.If i start as early as 4:am in the morning on 31st of may from shimla by my thar code will I reach sdm office manali before 11:00am to apply for the travelers pass through Rohtang pass to leh Ladakh as it is around 260 kilometers according to google map

Vargis.Khan May 10, 2017 - 5:58 am

Hello Bikash Bhai, Thank you for your kind words.

Yes If you started from Shimla by 4 AM, you may make it to Manali before 1 PM to submit your documents. But why do you want to go through all that trouble? Why not apply online?

Ashwini Deshpande February 12, 2016 - 7:24 am

Hello Sir,

We are planning trip from Srinagar -leh , Leh – Nubra vally, Leh to Pangong Tso .
Do we need ILP to visit these places .
We are visiting by Road. If we need ILP can you please tell the cost of permits per person/ vehicle.
We are visiting In may 2016
Thanks & Regards
Ashwini Deshpande

Vargis.Khan February 13, 2016 - 2:03 am

Hello Ashiwini,

No ILP required for Nubra and Pangong.

Shriram Kardile June 25, 2015 - 2:07 pm

Hi Vargis,

We are planning to travel from Pangong lake to Tso moriri lake in July 2015.
Do we need ILP on this route? Few days back I had read on your blog about ILP will be required for this ruote. But I could not see the post now.

Can you please confirm latest status for 2015?
Also if ILP is required then can you please paste the names of towns we need to specify on it? Or may be the link of your blog where you have mentioned this.

Vargis.Khan June 28, 2015 - 3:38 am

Hi Shriram,

Yes, you still need permits for Pangong to Moriri via chushul. Take a look at the following link for name of the places.


Leave a Comment