I have been using Tata Indicom Broadband services for 7 years now and have never felt the need to switch to another internet services provider. If you are considering getting a Tata Internet connection, here is a short review that can help you make decision.
1. Tata Indicom / Docomo: Until 2013, ownership lied solely with Tata but with a merger with Japanese Company NTT Docomo in 2013, 26% of equity stake in Tata Teleservices belongs to Docomo. Internet services are now completely under the ownership of Docomo though the company continues to do business under the name of Tata Indicom Broadband. Users were not affected in any way when this merger happened but did receive a notification informing them of the change. There were no changes in plans or chargers and services remained uninterrupted. The only thing they did was to have customer resubmit their identification proof which were collected by an agent from my place.
2. Plans: They have several plans that can fit in anybody’s budget ranging from 500 kbps to 100 MBPS. The one I use is Flash 384 that provided a speed of 500 kbps during day and 1.5 MBPS from night 10 to morning 8. Speed remains 1.5 through the day as well on Sundays. This pretty much suits my needs but if you need a higher speed, you can opt for a different plan.
3. Prices: There prices are pretty much at par with prices of all other internet providers. There are a few like Sifi and Hathway that can offer you lower priced plans but their services are so terrible that you will discontinue with them within a month.
4. Connectivity: When I started with Tata, they were providing a wired connection which later was turned into Wymax. Now there is an antenna installed on the roof of my house which is kind of good because it eliminates the risk of no connection due to damaged lines. Connectivity is quite good and I always get the speed promised.
5. Customer service: Though I have rarely faced any downtime but when it happened a few times, there engineer was at my place within hours of I placing a call to their contact center. The only challenge I faced sometimes of a bad phone connection when calling their customer care.
Overall, these guys are pretty good. I have been with them for 7 years now and continue to avail their services.
Updated: May 2015
I must admit that I have been quite frustrated with Tata Docomo for last one month. There is a continuous problem of frequent disconnections and for weeks now, I am not even getting half of the download speed that I should with a 2 MBPS connection. I have called their customer service multiple times but they have no idea on what is going on. The local service engineer guy is even worse. He taught me how to change frequencies of the connections and instructed that whenever I face problem with one frequency, I can just jump on to the other one. End result, I just sit at my computer changing frequencies trying to find out which one is more stable and would give me a better download speed. His answer to when I asked what the problem is and how long it would take to rectify was, “Sir ab problem toh hai, kya kar sakte hain”.
I know a few other people who are using Tata broadband and they are all facing the same problem. As of now, I would not advise anyone to use Tata. Even I myself am considering to change to Airtel.