I am sharing some pictures here that were sent to be by Prakash Olakiya of his recent trip to Ladakh. Prakash Bhai traveled in hi Maruti Swift on Srinagar Leh Highway in April first week; and returned the same way. I will copy paste the details that he sent me from his trip.
- We traveled in our swift car from Ahmedabad (Gujarat). We were a total of 3 people and along with a driver for the trip.
- Journey started from Ahemdabad early in the morning at 6:00 AM.
- For first day of the trip, we stayed at Amritsar for the night.
- We reached Amritsar by evening at 8 PM after a total of around 14 hours of journey; found a good hotel and checked in.
- Our journey for the second day began from Amritsar 10:30 am.
- We reached at Srinagar at 7:00pm. For anyone traveling this way, I would advise driving between Udhampur and Srinagar during day only because of the recent stone pelting issues.
- In Srinagar we stayed in a house boat. The experience was absolutely amazing and highly recommended for everyone visiting Srinagar. As a tourist, we did not face any problem at all in Srinagar.
- We left Srinagar next day at 9:00 AM.
- There is a check post just outside the Srinagar City where Army will checked your vehicle and ask a few questions like where are you coming from and where do you want to go.
- Srinagar to Sonamarg highway is too good and not really much of a typical hilly area to be honest.
- At Sonamarg there is a forest police check post. They will ask you for a valid identity proof and papers of your vehicle. They may also try to make some story around; just so they could fool some money out of you. As long as you have all the paperwork; and were driving in the right manner, do not give any money.
- At Baltal also there is one check post. You may or may not have to stop there.
- After Baltal the road gets bad and a bit dangerous so please drive carefully. This is where you start climbing up to Zojila Pass.
- There are numerous small eateries on the way to Zojila top that you may want to stop at and eat something. If traveling in April, you will find plenty of snow at Zojila pass.
- After you climb down from Zojila, there is another check post(Army) where you will have to get your car registered as well as yourself.
- After the check post, the road is super smooth all the way till Leh city and you can easily drive at a speed of 60 to 70 kilometers per hour. But please be very careful and do not over-speed.
- If possible and needed, you may also want to carry an oxygen kit. We faced low oxygen issue and felt but of AMS after Kargil and as we approached Leh.
- On 3rd day, we reached Leh at around 7:00pm.
- Please book in advance your hotel in Leh if traveling in April; or else you may have a bit of problem finding accommodation at this time.
- If you want to go for Pangong lake and Khardung La pass, then you must obtain an Inner Line permit from DM office Leh.
Also read: How to Plan a Trip to Ladakh in April?
Srinagar Leh Highway in April
I hope the information above was of help. If you have any further questions, or need some help planning your trip to Ladakh; then please feel free to ask in the comments section below; or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer.