The pictures below of Spiti valley road conditions are from my trip this year. I know I am a bit late with this article with the entire year gone; but these may still be of use to someone planning to travel to Spiti valley next year. There will not be a huge difference from now till next year in the condition of the road from Shimla to Kaza. Manali Kaza road anyways remains in a terrible state always. But the pictures below should be able to give you a visual presentation of what you are about to get yourself into. As they say, a picture is better than a thousand words.
Spiti Valley Road Conditions
In a nutshell, this is how the condition of the road currently is.
- Delhi to Chandigarh – Good
- Chandigarh to Shimla – Bad for first 25 kilometers. Rest is average.
- Shimla to Narkanda – Good smooth road
- Narkanda to Jeori – Mostly good with a few bad patches in between.
- Jeori to Sarahan – Very Bad
- Jeori to Karcham – Mix of average and good
- Karcham to Chitkul – The road from Karcham to Sangla is good but from Sangla to Chitkul is really bad.
- Karcham to Kalpa – Mostly good
- Kalpa to Nako – Mix of good and bad
- Nako to Dhankar – Mix of good, bad and ugly
- Dhankar to Pin Valley – A badly broken dirt road
- Dhankar to Kaza – Mostly average
- Kaza to Kibber / Komik / Chicham – Fresh tarmac, super smooth
- Kaza to Losar – Very bad condition; terribly broken
- Losar to Kunzum Pass – Extremely bad
- Chandratal Road – A complete nightmare; very narrow and badly broken.
- Batal to Gramphoo – Nightmare continues; Extremely bad.
- Gramphoo to Manali – Good but lot of traffic
Below is a visual presentation of what I stated above.
Shimla to Narkanda
Narkanda to Rampur
Rampur to Karcham
Karcham to Sangla
Sangla to Chitkul
Kunzum Pass to Batal
Batal to Gramphoo
Gramphoo to Manali
I hope the information and pictures above on Spiti Valley Road Conditions were of help. If you have any question; or need any further details; please feel free to ask in the comments section below; or at our Community Forum; and I will be glad to answer. The images I posted above were of the best and the worst sections on that particular route. You may take a look at the Forum Post where I have posted more pictures of the circuit.