Unlike Manali Leh highway, availability of basic facilities on Srinagar Leh highway is much better. Biggest reason behind that is that it runs through some of the major and well known tourist destinations of Kashmir like Sonamarg, Drass and Kargil. You are never really too far from civilization and getting help here is easier than on Manali to Leh route. In this article, I will list down places where you can find some of the basic amenities like medical facilities, mechanics, ATMs and petrol pumps on Srinagar Leh highway.
Please note though that even though I used the word easier; this 475 kilometers long road is still challenging and there are several areas of a high chance of getting stranded in case of a breakdown. You must prepare both yourself and your vehicle in advance for the tough journey ahead.
Petrol Pumps on Srinagar Leh highway
Fuel is probably one of the biggest concerns during a trip to Ladakh so I will start with this. Below is a list of places where you can find petrol pumps on Srinagar Leh highway. The most important thing to note here is that these are not gas stations located in heart of big cities but in remote areas so there is always a risk of the gas station not functional at your time of arrival. A wise thing to do is to tank up at the next working gas station and not let it linger thinking that you will buy at the next one.
Srinagar: Goes without saying, there are numerous petrol pumps in Srinagar so ensure that you start the journey from here with a full tank.
- Nagbal: After you leave Srinagar, next fuel station is HP petrol pump at Nagbal.
- Ganderbal: There are two petrol pumps at Ganderbal.
- Kargil: HP Petrol Pump
- Khalsi: Indian Oul Petrol Pump
ATMs on Srinagar Leh Highway
Below is a list of places where you can find an ATM while traveling from Srinagar to Leh. Like Petrol pump, availability of cash in ATMs at some of the remote villages remains doubtful. Best thing to do is to withdraw enough cash from Srinagar that can last for next couple of days until you reach Leh.
Srinagar: ATMs of almost major banks here.
Ganderbal: SBI, J&K Bank, HDFC Bank ATMs here but none of these are on the highway. You will have to enter the town a little.
Manigam: There is a J&K Bank ATM here, just before hotel Easton Grande.
Wussan: J&K Bank ATM here
Kangan: J&K Bank and ATM
Hari Ganiwan: J&K BanK ATM
Gund: J&K BanK ATM
Sonamarg: J&K Bank ATM
Dras: J&K Bank ATM, SBI ATM near Kargil War Memorial
Kargil: J&K Bank ATM
Shargole: SBI ATM but not on the highway. You will have to go towards the village about 5 kilometers from Srinagar Leh road.
Saspol: SBI ATM
Leh: J&K Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, SBI, ATM
Liquor Shops on Srinagar Leh Highway
While consuming alcohol is not advised while traveling through such a high altitude region, a trip like this of course calls for some alcohol at nights with friends. I do not drink myself so cannot really provide accurate information on this matter but I have seen liquor shops in Srinagar and Leh. In Srinagar, you can buy at Badami Bagh Cantt and Boulevard road. In Leh there are a few liquor stores you can buy from. Kargil too has a liquor store but I cannot really confirm this.
Mechanics on Srinagar Leh Highway
Almost all the major towns en route have mechanics available. For something major however, it can only be fixed in Srinagar or Leh. For small faults, you can get it fixed at Ganderbal, Sonamarg, Drass and Kargil. Apart from these,almost all the small towns like Kangan, Gund, Baltal, Lamayuru, Mulbekh, Nimmu have a pucture repair shop.
Medical Facilities on Srinagar Leh Highway
You can find a Doctor and dispensary at Sonamarg, Drass, Lamayuru but this will be just a physician. For any serious concerns, you will have to rush back to Leh, Kargil or Srinagar.
Electricity on Srinagar Leh Highway
Srinagar Leh highway is a well populated and connected region. All the towns and villages have electricity here.
Phone Services on Srinagar Leh Highway
I will explain this breaking in two segments; landline phones and mobile network reception. Phone connectivity too on Srinagar Leh highway is better than Manali to Leh route however there are some terms and conditions related to mobile services.
Mobile Connectivity on Srinagar Leh Highway :
- The biggest catch is that prepaid connections from outside the state of Jammu and Kashmir stop working here. Only a postpaid connection will remain connected so if you are planning a trip to Ladakh, better convert your number to postpaid.
- BSNL has the largest connectivity in this region and pretty much works everywhere throughout the route. There will be stretches in between where even BSNL will stop working but it will get back on network as you get closer to a town or village.
- Airtel will probably work until Sonamarg and will remain off the network until Kargil. In Kargil, both BSNL and Airtel work well but then around Mulbekh, Airtel will again stop working. You will get connectivity again somewhere between Nimmu and Leh.
- Vodafone is not really that good on this route. You will go lose network soon after leaving Srinagar and will not get it back until Leh.
- Aircel, Idea and Reliance are pretty much the same deal as Vodafone. These connections will work in Srinagar and after that only in Leh. Reliance may not even work in Leh as well.
- BSNL is the largest and best network here but in remote areas, the connectivity can be poor. Airtel comes second in line but even their call clarity and connectivity is poor here.
- Internet will work at pathetic speed. There is no 4G here still and 3G too works like 2G.
Landline Phones on Srinagar Leh Highway
- All the major towns after Srinagar; Ganderbal, Kangan, Sonamarg, Drass, Kargil, Mulbekh, Lamayuru, Nimmu; have landline phone connectivity. In case you need to make an urgent call and your phone is out of service; you can do so at any of these towns.
I hope this information on availability of basic facilities and petrol pumps on Srinagar Leh highway was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section below or at our community forum and I will be glad to answer. If you have a more recent update or information on any of the above mentioned details, please do share.